Everyone has their own styles of communication when interacting with others, which are based on the different character traits possessed by an individual. Whilst individuals may prefer a particular way of communicating, they can adjust their behaviour to other communication styles as needed in order to suit a particular situation or person. This flexibility will help them come across as knowledgeable, confident, and empathetic. In this module, you will get to acknowledge the characteristics of different communication and behavioural styles which will help you react most effectively when confronted with different people. Besides, this module will guide you step by step on how to demonstrate assertive behaviour, which is believed to be the healthiest and most effective way of communication in most situations. You will also get to develop your influencing skills, which is a powerful tool that can help you carry out tasks and achieve goals successfully. With these skills acquired, you will be able to effectively communicate, socialise, connect, and cooperate with people in life, whether it be an individual or a group.
At the end of the module, students will be able to:
- Identify and interpret different methods and styles of communication to build more productive working relationships
- Understand different behavioural styles and learn to modify their behaviours in order to achieve the best results
- Demonstrate assertive behaviour and learn to say “no"
- Develop influencing skills and identify the different influencing styles
- Consider the role of effective interpersonal skills in the workplace
- Set action plans for ongoing personal development
Students will gain exposure on the different styles that people use in their communication as well as the methods that can be used to deal with different people, which will help to boost their interpersonal skills.